Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Paint problems

In an earlier post I mentioned some problems I was having with the quality of Humbrol enamel paints, which have been my mainstay for the last 40 years. Some helpful comments suggested that this was due to changes in the manufacturing arrangements, and that Humbrol had taken action to rectify this and, if purchased direct from Hornby, the latest batches would be obtainable. I did this and replaced almost all of my basic paint set. I can report that some of the paints are indeed better than the earlier tins that I bought, but others are still causing difficulties. For example Humbrol 54 (brass), which even after endless mixing came out as an oily wash, which was completely useless for painting details such as buttons etc. I found that Humbrol 19 (red) was fine, but took around four days to dry properly. The other paints in the enamel range appear a bit thinner than I am used to. So I have looked at other ranges. I found Testor's paints to be very good and quick drying and a few Revell paints that I bought work well too. I hope Humbrol (now Hornby?) sort this issue out as I have always been a great fan of these paints.

2 comments:

  1. Bob, I must say your commitment to this sort of thing is one of the reasons I find your blog so fascinating. After reading your travails, vallejo acrylics just seem to be playing on easy mode.

    Keep up the good work and more power to your brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have tried Vallejo paints and I really like them, although I did not realise that they had gloss colours in the range. As a rule I tend to use gloss enamel, rather than acrylics, as I find acrylics dry a bit too fast when painting bulk units - but are great for small projects.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete